Wednesday, August 26, 2009
What's for Dinner? Wednesday
What you need:
1 package pizza dough mix, or use this recipe for no-rise dough here
1 package shredded mozzarella or Italian mix cheese
pizza toppings of your choice (we typically like mushrooms, pepperoni & ham)
pizza or spaghetti sauce for dipping
1) Mix dough with water according to package directions
2) divide dough into 3 or 4 pieces (maybe more if you used the recipe) - we typically do 2 large pieces for the adults and 2 smaller pieces for the kids
3) Using your hands, stretch (or smush, as my 4 yr old says) each dough ball out into a circle about the size of a salad plate.
4) Put your pizza toppings and cheese on one side of the circle. Fold the other half of the circle over and push the edges together really well, sealing the calzone.
5) Repeat for other dough balls (we typically serve the kids as regular pizzas, as they prefer it that way)
6) Place calzones on a greased cookie sheet. (We put calzones one sheet & pizzas on another & bake them both at the same time, pulling the pizzas out a few minutes earlier than the calzones)
7) Bake at 400 for about 12-15 minutes, checking after 12. Calzones are ready when they are brown on the outside.
8) Serve pizza sauce on the side for dipping.
Quick & easy - ready in less than a half hour and minimal prep time. This is a great quick meal on a work night or a day where things are crazy and you didn't think of dinner, etc.