Yes, I have a tote obsession right now. This one I made from a man's L T-shirt. The local thrift store has T-shirts for $.99 and they were 25% off. The lining fabric was from my stash. Total cost out of pocket right now for this tote - $.75 plus tax. Yay! And this is only because my dear husband was not willing to part with any of his Ohio State T-shirts for my project this time.
Cut a piece from the front & back of the shirt to the desired tote size. I cut 15" x 15" pieces to make a 13" x 13" x 3" finished tote. Let me say, however, that I really dislike working with the stretchiness of knit. I am going to have to get used to it and practice I guess.
I ironed medium-weight fusible interfacing to the front and back T-shirt tote pieces. It was a bit tricky and you can see I wrinkled the front a smidge in the middle of the logo. Grrr. Then I cut matching lining pieces from the other fabric - same dimensions. I ironed fusible fleece to those for padding, but I think next time I'll just use interfacing also - maybe some heavyweight so it's a bit stiffer.
I cut the pocket piece from a sleeve and the tote handles are the side seam areas that were left after cutting out the large pieces from the shirt. They're a bit short - I'm going to have to work on that next time. I didn't pad the handles for this one, I just used some interfacing inside them to help stiffen up the knit.
Overall, I'm fairly happy. I'm thinking that I need to cut up an old UT (that's University of Toledo, not University of Tennessee) shirt from college and make one for my alma matter.
If I get around to it this week (things are a bit crazy - my youngest has a surgery consult this morning during my oldest's ballet class, for example - I'm not looking forward to surgery on a barely 2 year old, even if it is for something routine like a hernia behind her belly button).
Well, I'm off to today's races. Hope you've been inspired to try making your own upcycled tote from these posts!